Newington – History
The earliest reference to a church at Newington-next-Hythe can be found in the Domesday Book of 1086 with the list of priests just inside the church door going back as far as 1220.
The Nave, Chancel and Belfry are were built before the medieval period, but in the early 12th century Norman stonework of the west wall of the Nave there are distinct signs of Saxon architecture.
The North Aisle was added in the early 14th century and the Chapel dedicated to Our Lady was built in the late 14th century but is today know as the Brockman Chapel owing to the many memorials that it now contains.
The Brockman family were for many years patrons of the church and lived at Beechborough and appointed the priest until 1958 when this passed to the Archbishop of Canterbury.
In 1771 the parishes of Newington and Cheriton were first united for many decades and in the early 21st century the parishes have again united again forming a combined benefice.
There is a booklet for sale in the church giving a fuller history of the church